2009-09-08 We Are The Network: Welcome to News Slam 1!
Please join us for a discussion every Tuesday at 12PM noon SL (US Pacific Time)
This Tuesday, Sept 8, 2009, we will be at the Epoch Institute in Second Life™
This Week’s Topic
This week we’ll be trying a wee bit of an experiment, an experiment I’m calling “News Slam”. News Slam is sort of a mashup of a poetry slam and a current events quiz show – with a twist.
What in the world is a News Slam, and why are we doing it?
Staying current with world events is always a challenge, given everything else we’re all trying to do in our lives. News Slam is a fun way to catch up with some things going on around the globe while maybe finding a topic we all want to dig into in a deeper way, either in this session or a future one.
I suppose we could even say that this is a serious game, enabled by a virtual world, but… that would be too serious – let’s have some fun and learn some new stuff!
News Slam How-To:
Join us! You can find a news item while you’re here, so don’t sweat it if you don’t have any preparation time. If you can spend a few minutes searching, you might find a nugget that will be really interesting, so if you have a few minutes, please feel free to go hunting.
* Anyone and everyone is encouraged to participate. This is not a contest!
* When you’re up, you’ll say two things (in text or voice – either is fine)
1) One sentence that explains a news item about a country other than the one you’re currently living in
2) One sentence that gives your reaction to the news item (either about the news itself, or the way the item is written or presented)
THE TWIST: You can completely make up your news item if you want, but do not tell anyone whether your item is real or not!
* Then we vote on whether we think your news item is real or not
This is all in fun, and maybe one or two folks won’t be able to hold it in and might comment on their own, and who knows, maybe we’ll end up in deep discussion about one of the news items… that’s ok too, although I’d like to see if we can get through several news bits.
Join us Tuesday at 12PM noon SL, and thanks for being part of “We Are The Network”!
Reading links below – have fun and see you soon!
GlobalPost – interesting new take on web news by some “real journalists”
All Voices – An Open Media Reporting Site
Digg World News
The Home of Poetry Slam Central
Individual World Poetry Slam
How Can I Get Event Announcements?
- Watch this page or grab an RSS feed from this blog (click the RSS icon above)
- Follow @JoelFoner on Twitter
- Join the We Are The Network group in Second Life™
- Join the We Are The Network hippoGroup ( this does not take up a group slot – tap the “We Are The Network” sign at the Epoch Institute in Second Life™)
- Join the We Are The Network Facebook Page
Please Note – Mixed Text and Voice Session:
We Are The Network is an open, mixed voice / text discussion session. Please feel free to participate in voice or in text, to your preference. The facilitator and some participants will be using voice, so you may wish to enable voice in your viewer so that you can hear the voice portions of the session.
To enable voice, choose Preferences from the Edit menu, click the “Voice Chat” tab along the left of the form, and then make sure that “Enable voice chat” is checked. Again, speaking is not required for this session, however if you do not enable voice, and use speakers or headphones, you will not be able to hear part of the discussion.
Thanks for attending!